Translate

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What’s it like to be your age, Mom?

You know the old saying…“If I had known I was gonna live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.” These days I have a difficult  time remembering just how old I am. I'm pretty sure that has some deep psychological meaning.  I believe, my views and opinions are basically the same as when I was 25. I look in the mirror and gasp!  It’s my mother looking  back at me. When the heck did that happen?

I have never had a problem with age, until very recently. Not even when I turned 30 and my adorable 16 year old babysitter gushed, “I hope I look as good as you do, when I am your age.” I have instigated a proper curse.

Getting older now means more visits to the doctor and medication for things that seem rather copiously invented by the drug companies. How can I be perfectly fine, walking around humming one minute and seconds away from death, the next?  I’m pretty certain that it is a HUGE scam. I'm still investigating.

I can  remember a time when if the phone (we only had one) rang during dinner, we let it ring. I remember my dad deciding what the family watched on TV after dinner. I can remember the dramatic shift my mothers' wardrobe made when she stopped wearing dresses and began wearing  pantsuits. I can remember "Dime Stores." I guess that really makes me old. What can you buy for a dime today?

I remember watching the Beatles for the first time on Ed Sullivan with my cousin, Suzie and sitting on the floor screaming at the TV. I remember wearing go-go boots with my Catholic school uniform. I remember watching the clips from the Viet Nam war and crying.

There is a physiological theory that time actually does go faster the older you get. I’m not a scientist, but I can tell you--its true.

My daughter recently asked, ”What’s it like to be your age?” I remember asking my mother that same question. She threw her head back,  laughed and said, ”Just wait.” I’m certain she’s having a good chuckle, wherever she is.

Getting older puts you closer to that final countdown--death. Having made a life-long study of religion, I’m still not certain what (if anything) lies beyond.  I do know 2 things to be true.
#1 You will reap what you sow.
#2  Refer to #1

No comments:

Post a Comment